Hi folks. Been a while > 1 year since I posted in my blog. Lots of stuff going on. HamSphere 4.0 is about to get launched for beta and you will find a few videos about this new project:
First off there is the Sept 2013 Newsletter that explains quite a bit of this new system:
And specifically how you build the 4.0 Transceiver with plug-ins: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD361ltYDSc
All my videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/MillFarmSwe
I am still working on the HamSphere app for Android. It is hard work. The iOS platform is so much easier when it comes to screen sizes and op systems. Android has million versions it feels and all different kinds of screen resolutions. The biggest issue the beta testers had was the screen-size and the graphics. As the beta 1 app was written using Relative Layout with fixed positions it was not properly displayed in all gadgets. I have now reworked the layout and I am using:
DisplayMetrics metrics = context.getResources().getDisplayMetrics();
int screenWidth = metrics.widthPixels;
int screenHeight = metrics.heightPixels;
And the LinearLayout
LinearLayout ll = new LinearLayout(context);
ll.setLayoutParams(new LinearLayout.LayoutParams(LinearLayout.LayoutParams.FILL_PARENT, LinearLayout.LayoutParams.FILL_PARENT));
LinearLayout.LayoutParams llvParms = new LinearLayout.LayoutParams(screenWidth/5+screenWidth/30, LinearLayout.LayoutParams.FILL_PARENT);
LinearLayout.LayoutParams llmParms = new LinearLayout.LayoutParams(3*screenWidth/5-screenWidth/15, LinearLayout.LayoutParams.FILL_PARENT);
LinearLayout.LayoutParams llhParms = new LinearLayout.LayoutParams(screenWidth/5+screenWidth/30, LinearLayout.LayoutParams.FILL_PARENT);
LinearLayout llv = new LinearLayout(context);
LinearLayout llm = new LinearLayout(context);
LinearLayout llh = new LinearLayout(context);
The above example shows how I place the three vertical colums on screen (Switches, LCD/S-meter, Band-selector)
I will release the result as Beta 2 soon – I promise. Just need to get this screen look pretty first.
Finally, after many hours of debugging the iPhone HamSphere app is on its way to the App store. It was first set to be uploaded almost two weeks ago and we started the process, but too many bugs stopped it. But we have sorted all bugs and it is finally posted.
Hi all users.
Status as of 15 Oct 2012.
iPhone waiting for apple approval
Android, still at beta 1 stage.
Sorry for the delay. Check this page for updates.
HamSphere on Android BETA #1 Feedback:
I started handing our hamsphere APK files 28 August to some 100 Beta testers. This is the feedback I have gotten so far.
Thank you all beta tester for the feedback. I am now working on BETA #2 where most of the errors below should be fixed.
* What a program great fun when ok well done. Look forward to the next beta test.
* Great Job Kelly.
* Working fine. Keep up the great work and thanks for all you do for ham radio.
* The down load was fine and worked well.
* Downloaded version for samsung galaxy s ll works good. Good job Kelly, thanks a lot for your hard labour.
* Ok thanks i installed and i can hear the stations.
* It’s now working ok. W5GT.
* YES! Its running! YES, YES! Its running fine on all bands!
* It works fine. Smart application. 73s.
* Wow! Yeaaaaaaa! Finally!.
* It looks and worked great, except that it did crash when I turned the tablet as you said that it would.
* Looks like it works pretty well on the TMobile Amaze over WiFi. Very nice work!
* It’s pretty awesome!
* First : the audio is great.
* Filter: Perfect
* Cluster: Works good
* I would like to say i am impressed. The audio quality and user interface is every bit as nice to use, as the computer version.
* Would be nice to have the active freq, listed at the top when in chat/cluster Hamsphere – zzzzz.zz kHz
* Software needs to pick up active mic, or have the possibility to choose. (relevant when using wired handsfree or wireless bluetooth equipment)
* When working a QSO I miss the possibility to easily check the callsign Im working.
* We need a button for active users on frequency
* cluster button can change behaviour between list users on freq, band and all all users on system.
* I am questioning the data usage. Maybe it is wise to have even more compression, so that data traffic is reduced even more.
* I am thinking that there should be an added function for logging QSO’s. . It should be connected to the cluster button.
* The callsign should also have an added /p for portable
* Add mic volume. If possible add volumecontrol for mic.
* Cluster list is a bit small. Suggest remove time, more room for callsign, frequency and country.
* Cluster list button can also have the functionality of the following: First push, you see the list on freq, next push, list on band, 3rd push all stations listed
* Include button at top for sorting by callsign, freq. or country
* Remember login details, don’t have to type in every time.
* Include PTT-Hold, so you push to talk, and don’t have to hold.
* Add mem button, where you can store your fav. freq. can be popup window.
* Possibility to assign button for PTT (using handsfree or other button on phone)
* Suggest that app stay in vertical position even if you rotate phone
* Logout – Add the hold button for a couple of seconds. Its too easy to just log out. Can also be added as a popup window
* Would like to see function for logging and sending QSL cards in next release
* The wheel to input for frequency input is fine for fine tuning but is a real bear cat to try to go up say just 10 Khz with it
* Make the frequency display area not only just show the frequency you’re on but have be able to be clicked on and then have the phone keyboard come for keying in the frequency.
* You may want to think about putting in a lite ver of the Log/QSL in there that would great.
* I can tell you this much this app should not be run on a phone that does not have a CPU of 1.0Ghz or higher.
* I run it at 950 Mhz and it was laggy but not to bad I step it down to 750 Mhz and yes you can get logged in but the UI just become unresponsive.
* PTT Button, work fine. But I suggest PTT Lock Option
* I can not control my Mic Gain, during TX, my signal goes Maximum even without any modulation.
* There is no mic volume and I can’t find a setting on the phone.
* The time the phone’s display goes out should be longer. Echolink stays on for longer.
Need to be fixed
* Close the program but could still hear it running
* No transmit button. Can not transmit. (Screen size problem)
* Tilt will crash app
* The process hamsphere.ringjoebing.android has stopped unexpectedly
* Crash when I turned the tablet
* Transmitting: my modulation which is broken up and very low
* The S-meter on TX showed about 5-6, 5-7 at most.
* Using wired handsfree, holding the mic almost in my mouth, I got on signal report 5-9
* Modulation is good, but signal is weak.
* Programe would freeze every now and then although audio would continue to work. Required log out and re log in to continue with conversation.
* App always start with max volume, should instead just follow phone settings for volume.
* When using the cluster function, the cluster window covers your freq.
* The only thing that seems to be a bit weak when I transmit.
* Some flicker around S meter (White lines, rectangle. It shows after the cluster window is closed.
* App crash on rotate to horisontal.
* The down load was fine and worked well the first minute or so. Then I could not get a clear station, a lot of static.
* Had to disable screen rotation to stop force close while holding phone in hand.
* Some buttons dont work
* Poor graphic
* On a Samsung Tab it uses only a small portion of the screen in the center, but it display also only a center portion of the ui, so that many of the buttons are not accessible.
* it always starts with maximum audio volume and the volume can be reduced only after 30 sec when the software is fully loaded. This means, that you can only start it in a closed room when you’re alone….
* It reacts very slow on rotation on the tune button, so it’s very difficult to set frequencies with that. Maybe performance problem of the Tab. So, at least on the Samsung Tab, it’s not (yet) usable.
* I have some distortion on the modulation, told by some stations, i have a samsung tab 7 plus .
* The audio is intermittent and it slow to respond
* Forces close while logging on with the phone held vertically
* Does not run smooth on my lg p506 3g at&t.
* It looks and worked great, except that it did crash when I turned the tablet as you said that it would.
* Tried it & can log in but it just makes rapid clicking sounds & is locked up forcing me to reboot the phone…
* The screen is also to large not displaying everything on the phone, samsung gts5330
* Audio just ticks with small amount of hiss, not able to pick up any radio station at all.
* I’ve made a test with my old android telephone and i freezes and won’t work on that one, the new one fine mic level low
* The gauge needles need to be reworked even with my phone overclocked. They do not show the right TX info, but do show the right RX info.
* I’m still can’t talk because PTT button not show at my device.
* Cluster Toggle Button Indicator still ON, after I closed Cluster Window. Other button also behave like that, I assume is ON/OFF button. Acer Iconia A510, Dual Core 1Ghz Processor, memory 32 GB, Free Application Memory During Test 300MB
* Choppy sound and do not see ptt and 30 ,80 160 meters
* In Horizontal mode is ok but when change mode is logout.
* Unfortunately I seem to be having major problems as far as while transmitting my modulation which is broken up and very low.
* When I transmit the modulation is very low,shaky and broken up.
* Program is working only in vertical
* I can’t hear any useful modulation only same schratches and garbled voices allover all bands
* Sometimes when I login a different screen apears on my phone. There are round buttons for “cluster”, “chat” and “simoff”
* It seems that external mic from wired handsfree and wireless handsfree is not picked up
* Everything fits on the screen just fine. It just looks like low resolution (Poor graphics)
* If it goes into horizontal mode it is still running but the screen goes back to the login screen
* “cluster” wroking open cluster page when i close it stays green and doesn’t work any more
* “chat” working open chat page when i colse it stays green and doesn’t work any more
* “sim off” button works changing color to green and changing text to sim on but no effect on simulation
* “filter 1″ button works changing color to green and changing text to “filter 2″ on button but no effect on “display” above the freqency on square blue sign “FIL 1″ and it has some effect on sound.
* “help” button works changing color to green nothing else * “news” button works changing color to green nothing else
* Audio from android going to hamsphere is broken up and i have tried it on wifi and 3g, my recieve audio is better than transmit but that could just be my phone
* The Sim on/off button does not work.
* It works but I get no sound its weird and some times it crashes
* Working well, mic levels appear low though… but love it so far…
* Horizontal wiev, exit at login but app works in second frame.
* At the moment im trying it on tablet, when i installed it just crashed,had to force close it,when i opened it second time it works correctly.
* As i started and opened cluster and chat i noticed when i close them by pressing button again it wont open afterwards.
* Having some lag.listening on other account on pc and tablet has some 2 second
Hi all. I have now completed the first Android HamSphere Beta app.
Email email@example.com with:
Callsign, Phone model, Android op sys version, Carrier, Speed to firstname.lastname@example.org and I shall return URL/Login and Password to Beta APK file
Finally I am back in Cyprus. The new house is in a real mess and I have no idea where my stuff is. Boxes everywhere.
Have managed to get my office working. Got the PC, Mac and Linux up and running. SO I am back and I will focus opn getting the Android app ready ASAP. I had a great time in Sweden beta testing it. And it works really well.
Please send me your callsign if you wanna become a beta tester. There will be an official initation on the Latest News later.